Thursday, January 8, 2009

Drawing with glasses and without: which is which?

So far so good...8 days into the New Year and my resolution is holding up. Each day I've spent 15 minutes drawing. Losing my glasses one day resulted in an interesting drawing experiment. Instead of wasting another 15 minutes looking for them I decided to do my drawing without glasses. The drawing of the rose above is the result. (The drawing of the bear is an example of drawing with my glasses.) Not being able to see details forced me to sort of "feel my way around" the drawing process, producing more fluid, intuitive lines and punching up values.

1 comment:

Teresa Mallen said...

Hi Maureen,

Congratulations on keeping up your resolution! Both the rose and the bear are great. The rose has a looser feel to it and given that you could not see the detail, that is expected. Many artists that love working in detail, struggle to work looser. You have found an easy technique for glass wearers to try. Just take them off! :-) How did it feel to work without your glasses? Is this something you will try again?
Congrats again on the 15 mins a day!